In March 2017, Cevotec presented SAMBA and ARTIST STUDIO at the JEC World in Paris. Fiber Patch Placement has successfully transitioned from science labs to the industrial environment in the last years. Likewise, Cevotec’s founding story is an example for successful incubation support of high-tech start-ups in Germany. And we are still at the beginning of our mission to establish Fiber Patch Placement as the standard processing technology for complex fiber products.
Fiber Patch Placement
Fiber Patch Placement has left marks and written history in the years of its technological development. Invented by Airbus Innovation Works in 2008, the technology was advanced in a joint industry project that gained support from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. In a team with the Institute for Carbon Composites of TU Munich, the companies Airbus, Manz, Cenit, OttoBock, and additional partners, the technology advanced from 2011 to 2014 to a working prototype that builds three dimensional parts from fiber patches.
At this point, the story of Cevotec emerges. Felix Michl worked since 2011 at the Institute for Carbon Composites on the Fiber Patch Placement project and recognized early on the potential of the technology. When the project ended as planned in 2014, he acquired support from the EXIST research transfer scheme. Financed by the Federal Ministry of Economics, Felix Michl, Thorsten Groene and Dr. Neven Majic started project “Patchwork” to commercialize Fiber Patch Placement. In 2015, the team founded Cevotec and delighted first customers, partners and supporters early on. High-Tech Gründerfonds and Bayern Kapital, together with experienced business angles, invested a seven-digit figure in 2016 to accelerate the market launch of the first industrial Fiber Patch Placement production system with associated CAD/CAM software. We were supported by the European Space Agency ESA and are an active member of the Carbon Composites e.V. association and of the composite cluster at the Ludwig-Bölkow Innovation Campus. The opportunities attached to Fiber Patch Placement as a new manufacturing standard have also been recognized by our sales partners overseas: since 2018, Composite Automation LLC. represents Cevotec in North America, and since 2019, Fuji Industries Co. Ldt. partners with Cevotec for the Japanese market.
Meanwhile, Cevotec is the leading developer and one-stop-shop for patch-based composite production technologies. SAMBA and ARTIST STUDIO are the first industrial production system for complex fiber laminates and multi-material sandwich structures. We will further expand our portfolio of technologies featuring flexible fiber orientations – in processing technology as well as in software. It’s our own software development in particular that enables us to implement complex processes while keeping the design process easy and efficient for the user. We follow a clear technology roadmap, which we orient stringently to market needs. Because only when our customers are successful with our technology, we will be successful in the long-term. We want to set milestones in future lightweight strategies – milestones in composites.
- Fiber Patch Placement is invented by Airbus Innovation Works
- With support from Airbus, TU München and other partners develop an FPP-prototype
- Project „Patchwork“ to commercialize FPP starts at TU Munich
- Felix Michl, Thorsten Gröne, Dr. Neven Majic und Prof. Klaus Drechsler found Cevotec GmbH in Munich
- Partnership with Airbus
- Financing for market entry
- Move to Ludwig-Bölkow-Campus, Ottobrunn
- Partnership with Baumann Automation
- Cevotec launchs SAMBA and ARTIST STUDIO at JEC World in Paris
- Nomination for CAMX Awards
- SAMBA extended to enable the processing of thermoset prepreg material
- Sales partnership with Composite Automation LLC for North America
- Cevotec becomes partner of Fiber Placement Center
- Founding member of the Composite Application Center (CAC) based in Singapore
- Nominated for the Innovation Award of AVK
- Received JEC Award for Sustainability together with Premium Aerotec
- SAMBA extended to enable the processing of additional, pre-impregnated materials for sandwich structures
- Received SKF Award “Materials and Processes of the Future” at the Industry of the Future Challenge in Vernon, France
- Exclusive representation and reseller agreement with Fuji Industries Co., Ltd. for Japan and Thailand